Born 6 August 1990, jonbenet lived with her family in Boulder, Colorado. Her mother (Patsy) her father (John) and her older brother Burke, who was nine at the time of the murder. Jonbenet was just 6 years old at the time of her murder, prior to her death she competed in Beaty pageants
Facts: (Bold – points that are important to remember)
- On the right of Christmas, 1996 the Ramseys hosted a party at their home, that night Jonbenet was put to bed at 9pm.
- At 5am patsy Ramsey (mother) woke up to find a ransom note left on her stairs.
- The ransom note stated that jonbenet had been kidnapped and for her safe return the Ramsey must pay $118,000
- The note also stated that the kidnappers would call between 8 and 10am regarding the instruction on how to deliver the money
- The police were called.. the family and the police waited for the call regarding instruction but the call was never made.
- The police asked the family to scan the house and see if anything was out of place. During this time jonbenet was found in the back room of the Basement by her father John and he carried her upstairs.
- Jonbenet had died from blunt force trauma and strangulation. Her body had also showed signs of sexual abuse.
Things to consider:
- The ransom note – was extremely unusual for a number of reasons
– The ransom note was three pages long. Usually ransom notes include two main points. one, that theres been a kidnapping. Two, the terms/ money that want in return for the safety of the person. The jonbenet note was incredibly chatty, going on for three pages about who the kidnappers were, what they were going to do with JonBenet, and other strange superfluous information.
– It ended with the strange sign off “Victory!” It is an all-around weird note. Because of its strange language and weird demands, some people think the note was a fake.
– the note came form inside the house – this is really unusual because people who are kidnapping and breaking into a house usually don’t have time to waste writing a ransom note, especially one that is 3 pages long. This means that the kidnappers had to complete three tasks. Break in, Kidnap/kill jonbenet and write the ransom note all while the family slept. Which creates speculation. Why would the kidnapper risk getting caught? But if this was an inside job then the family didn’t need to be sleep during this time and there wasn’t any possibility of getting caught.
– the weirdest part of the kidnapping is that there wasn’t actually any kidnapping. Jonbenet was killed inside the house. So whats the point fo writing a ransom note, demanding all this money all for a plan that wouldn’t have ever worked?
- $118,000. – for a ransom note this is a oddly specific amount to pay.
– Usually the number is rounded to the nearest 10s or 100s. This is something to consider because that is the exact amount that John Ramsey was recently paid as a Christmas bonus. Which could mean one of two things: either the kidnappers knew John had received this amount of money as a bonus and that he would have it, or John wrote the note himself, trying to make it appear that someone who knew his bonus amount was the kidnapper.
- The Basement. – The basement is signifiant because when John was asked to look around the house for anything unusual he walked straight to the basement and right to where her body was.
– in the basement there was a broken window and a suitcase on the ground next to the window with a footprint on it. John explains that he broke the window poor to the kidnapping but as for the suitcase and the footprint he had no idea who the suitcase belonged to or how either of them got there.
- The 911 call – when patsy had called 911 early that morning she said some things that don’t seem typical with mother who have just had their daughter kidnapped
– She said, “We have a kidnapping” when she explains why she is calling. This type of passive language (“We have a kidnapping” vs. “My daughter has been kidnapped”) has been linked to lying. Patsy also didn’t even mention JonBenét until a few sentences into the 911 call, she talked about the kidnapping and the note, but not that her daughter was gone. This technically isn’t evidence but it is something extremely unordinary when dealing with your daughter being kidnapped.
– Another unusual fact about the 911 call is that patsy was the one to hang up. This also isn’t any technical evidence, however usually when a person calls emergency services they don’t hang up the phone until the service is there or they know for certain that the service is nearby or going to be at the requested location.
There are a number of theories
The parents – this would explain why the ransom note was written inside the house. The Ramsey’s had contaminated the crime scene. They were cleared by DNA evidence however with contamination it is hard to come to any real conclusion. This would also explain that there was no footprints in the snow on the morning afterwards. If there really was an intruder there would be evidence right? And the cobweb being undisturbed, whats that all about?
The brother – this would also explain the beating over the head, she had such a bad head wound that his parents finished what Bourke started to cover it up and protect Bourke. this also backs up the theory of why Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey had a motive.